Saturday, May 7, 2011

Airshow


Yesterday I had a unique opportunity to going flying and to shoot "air to air" photos of a classic military trainer, the AT-6.  Our camera club was invited to the media event the day before the "real" airshow to photograph the planes as they arrived for the show.  Included were the T-6, P-51 Mustang, the Mitchell B-25 and L-39 Albatross.  Unfortunately, the B-25 did not show up.  Meanwhile, I got invited to fly in a twin engine Cherokee and shoot the other planes in the air.  Never did that before, although I did take flying lessons at this same airport and soloed during the airshow in 1998.   Once in the plane they told us we were shooting the T-6, well, better than nothing, but not as good as the P-51.  I had taken my Canon 5dMKII and Sigma 120-300 2.8 lens to shoot the planes as they took off and landed, so I was ill prepared to shot while flying.  I took the camera up, but could not use it, because there just wasn't enough room to swing that big lens around.  Luckily I had brought my Sony P&S with the 10x zoom and 10fps capture speed.  So all the shots in the air were taken with that camera.  I thought it did an amazing job and even captured HD video as well.  I will never leave my Canon 24-105 at home again.  Lesson learned.